Sangam Age: – Cholas,Cheras,Pandyas
SANGAM AGE (200 BCE -)
- Capital: – Uraiyur (Ancient Chola Empire, Chola Empire in 600 BC- Capital- Tanjor)
- Emblem: – Tiger
- Most Important Ruler: – Karikala
- Famous for Cotton
- Famous Port:- Kavenpattnam
- Capital: – Vanji
- Emblem: -Bow
- Most Important Ruler: – Senguttuvan(Red Chera)
- Capital- Madurai
- Emblem- Fish
- Most Important Ruler- Nendujelliyan
- Famous for Pearls
- It was an assembly of Tamil Poets held under patronage of Pandyan Kings.
- Total Assemblies – 03
First Sangam Assembly
- Believed to be attended by Gods
- No surviving text available.
- Chairman:- Rishi Agatsya/Agguityar (also know as Father of Tamil Literature)
Second Sangam Assembly
- 1 Surviving Text- “Tolakappiyam” written by Tolakappiyar (Note :- It is also the oldest text of Tamil Literature ) ,
- Tolakappiyam is a book on Tamil Grammar.
Third Sangam Assembly
- It was held in Mudrai
- Many Text are remaining but most important among them is “Tirukunal”
- Tirukunal was written by Tiruvalluvar, also know as “Bible of the South”.
To Go to next Chapter: CLICK HERE
To Go to History Notes Index Page: CLICK HERE
To Go to Indian Polity Notes: CLICK HERE
Thank You for reading the Article. Good Luck for your upcoming Exams.