After the Gupta Empire the Vardhana Dynasty Emerged as the biggest Dynasty in North India. It is also known as Pushyabhuti Dynasty
Vardhana Dynasty / Pushyabhuti Dynasty
Founder: – Pushyabhuti Vardhana
Gupta’s (Feudatories) – When Hunas attacked they made themselves ruler.
Most Important Ruler: HarshaVardhan’
Rulers of Area: Thaneshwar, current Haryana
Prabhakar Vardhana had two sons:-
RajyaVardhana was killed by Shashanka of Gaud. After his death Harshavardhana became King
Gaud (N.W Bengal) – Shashanka
- He was made king at age of 16 (606 AD)
- He was the greatest Vardhana ruler (ruled for more than 40 years)
- He was also called “Siladitya”
- After defeating Shushunka, He made Kannauj as Capital.
- Later after Shuskunka’s death, he captured his empire & Magadh.
- He was defeated by Pulakeshin II (Chalukya Empire)
- Hiuen Tsang visited during his reign (China)
- Kannaj assembly conducted for Hiuen Tsang
- He wrote 3 plays:- Nagunda, Ratnavali, Priyadarshika
- Banabhatta (his court poet)- wrote – Harshacharita.
- Hiuen Tsang- Si Yu Ki
- Harsha Era/Samvat- 606 AD
Facts about Eras: –
VikramSamvat – (Vikramaditya): 57 BCE
Gregorian – 0 AD
Saka Era: Given by Kanishka : 78 AD
Gupta Era: Given by Chandragupta 1 – 320 AD
Harsha Era: Given by Harshavardhana – 606 AD
To Go to next Chapter: CLICK HERE
To Go to History Notes Index Page: CLICK HERE
To Go to Indian Polity Notes: CLICK HERE
Thank You for reading the Article. Good Luck for your upcoming Exams.