Today we will begin the Vedic Age of Indian History. We will be studying The Vedic Age in three parts.
- Part 1: In part 1 we will study about the aryan/ Vedic Society
- Part 2: In this part, we will study about Vedic Literature (Shruti)
- Part 3: In the final part we will study Vedic Literature ( Smriti)
This is the part 1 of the Vedic Age. So let’s start the Vedic Society.
So we see in the above notes that Vedic Society can be divided into 2 parts:
- Early vedic Age/ Rig Vedic Age
- Later Vedic Age
Early Vedic Age:
- It existed between 1500 BCE-1000 BCE
- Rig Veda was written in this age
- Most of the population in the Sapta Sindhava region
- Food: Dairy products
- Food crop: Barley and wheat
- God: Indra, Varun, Agni
- Wealth: Cows, cattle
- Varna system was occupational
- Battle of 10 kings happened during this time: Dasrajan war(King Sudas won)
Iron was discovered in 1000 BCE whic lead to better equipments, hence better plough and agriculture, hence food became abundant.
As a result wealth shifted from cattles to land.
Later Vedic Age
- Existed between 1000 BCE to 600 BCE
- All the other Vedas were written in this age
- Population shifted from Indus Valley to Ganga plains
- Food Crop: Rice and wheat
- God: Prajapati Brahma, Vishnu, Mahesh
- Wealth: Land and gold
- Varna system became rigid
So with this we come to and of this part: vedic Society.
To read the next chapter: The vedic Literature Click Here
Also watch video tutorials for this chapter: