GUPTA AGE ( 3rd Century AD- )
- Sri Gupta – Founder of Gupta Empire
- Ghatotakacha- Son of Sri Gupta
- Chandragupta 1 – Son of Ghatotakacha (Beginning of Greater Gupta Empire)
- Ruled over Magadha , Saket & Prayag
- Started Gupta Era (320 AD)
- Matrimonial Alliances (Kumardevi of Licchachavi clan)
- Issued Gold coins in the name of Kumardevi
SAMUDRAGUPTA (335 AD-
- Son of Chandragupta I
- Known from – Allahabad Inscription i.e Prayag Prashashti , which was written by Harisena (Prashashti means poem in praise)
- Known as Napolean of India , (Title given by VA Smith)
- Had a strong navy (Java/Sumatra)
- Coins- He played Vina (reflects interest of Samundragupta in music)
- Also called “Dharm Prachar Bandhu”
- In his rule, King of Sri Lanka had sent missionaries (Meghvarman) for building Buddhist temple in Gaya (Bihar)
- Also known as Vikramaditya
- First Gupta ruler to issue to Silver Coins
- Court at Ujjain had- 9 jems (Navratna) (Important jems- Kalidas, Harisena)
- Chinese Pilgrim “Fa Hien” visited during his reign
- Ujjain was made 2nd (1st Capital was Patliputra)
KUMAR GUPTA (413-
- He founded Nalanda University
- He worshipped Lord Kartikeya
- He fought with “Hunas” (Mongol tribes), and died fighting hunas.
- He repelled Hunas – 2 times
- Also had the title of Vikramaditya. (Chandragupta II also had the title of Vikramaditya)
- He repaired Sudarshan Lake.
Continuous attack of Huna weakened the Gupta Empire, Consequently Later Gupta Ruler were weaker.
Purushagupta to Kumargupta III.
Last Gupta Ruler– Kumargupta III
To Go to next Chapter: CLICK HERE
To Go to History Notes Index Page: CLICK HERE
To Go to Indian Polity Notes: CLICK HERE
Thank You for reading the Article. Good Luck for your upcoming Exams.