Pre Medieval Period
The Chola Empire (Imperial)
- Imperial Chola Empire (Don’t confuse with Sangam age Cholas, this chola empire came much later than the sangam age cholas)
- Feudatories of Pallavas overthrown the Pallavas empire and established Chola Empire . (later they also defeated pandayas ).
- Capital :- Tanjore/ Thanjavur
- Founder: – Vijalaya
- Greatest Ruler – Raja Raja Chola, Rajendra chola I
- They possessed huge Naval Power (Raja raja was the first ruler to have strong navy)
- Raja Raja started capturing “Ceylon”-(Sri Lanka) and Rajendra I finished it.
- Rajendra Chola– Started annexation towards North and reached almost near Ganga. (First Southern king to achieve this feat) , Hence he was also known as Gangai Konda.
- Rajendra Chola established a new capital called Gangaikonda cholapuram
- Last Ruler- Rajendra Chola III.
Chola Art and Architecture
- Dravaidian Architecture at its zenith during this reign.
- Nataraja Sculpture
- Temple- Brihadishvara , also called Rajarajesvaram (built by Raja Raja Chola)
To Go to next Chapter: CLICK HERE
To Go to History Notes Index Page: CLICK HERE
To Go to Indian Polity Notes: CLICK HERE
Thank You for reading the Article. Good Luck for your upcoming Exams.